Saturday

Four whole days I have been here.
On my first full day I stayed where I was put, in the Duchess's chambers, only descending to main dining room once summoned. Dinner was ... somewhat dismal. And I resolved to myself that I would take direction of the kitchen. Perhaps the cook was merely in want of some guidance. A thin, watery potato and leek soup with bread that has obviously been left on the shelf for longer than it should, is not the way to feed nobility. I felt rather proud of myself, and declared to my mirror that I would become the true London Lady and become the duchess that Holcroft was surely expecting me to be. Now that we are in London, of course, things will change.

With my firm convictions in one hand, and a list of potential items to go on the dinner table, I marched into the kitchen, and presented myself to the cook.

No comments: